I am trying really hard to keep these titles short, but it’s really difficult. The working title for this is actually Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Doughnut Peanut Butter Bread Pudding. It was much too long, and I felt like the fact that I used Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Doughnut was an unnecessary, but delicious addition.
This is the recipe I used for the banana bread doughnut base of this bread pudding. You can really use any banana bread or banana muffins.
I’m really excited for you to try this one! The peanut butter custard is super rich and creamy! But the banana flavor still shines through. If you use banana bread that doesn’t already have chocolate chips in it, you can easily toss in half a cup of chocolate chips before baking.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Doughnut Peanut Butter Bread Pudding
5-6 stale chocolate chip banana bread doughnuts (I used this recipe)
1/2 c sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 c half and half
2 Tbsp butter (melted)
2/3 c peanut butter (melted)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
marshmallows (garnish, optional)
fried banana (garnish, optional)
- Make banana bread doughnuts and let them get stale for 3-5 days. (Alternatively, substitute banana bread or muffins).
- Cut the doughnuts in half and place in single layer in baking sheet. Broil on low (about 250 degrees Fahrenheit), far from the heat for about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove doughnuts from oven and tear into 1-inch pieces.
- Whisk together sugar and eggs in large mixing bowl, until smooth.
- Heat half-and half until just warm–about 1.5 minutes in the microwave.
- Whisk half-and-half and melted butter into eggs mixture.
- Add melted peanut butter, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Stir in pieces of banana bread doughnuts.
- Let bread pudding mixture soak for about 2 hours, covered, in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (Fahrenheit) .
- Spray one 2.5 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray and pour in the bread pudding mixture.
- Place casserole dish in center of oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until custard is set (the bread pudding will have puffed up and not look too jiggly or moist in the center).
- Place on cooling rack for at least ten minutes.
- Serve warm, or cold with toasted marshmallows and fried banana (if desired).
- To fry the banana, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp butter, and add bananas cut lengthwise. Cook about 1 minute per side.