I had all of these extra waffles after making the maple bacon bread pudding, and I wasn’t sure what to do with them. Then a stroke of genius struck me! What if I put the waffles back into the waffle iron? So that is what I did. I made a bread pudding out of the waffles and re-waffled it. Voila! Twice waffled waffles.
This recipe is so good! The edges of this bread pudding get crisped and caramelized in the waffle iron. The salted maple caramel adds even more caramel flavor, but with the maple flavor you expect on top of a waffle. Great for breakfast or dessert!
Up until writing this, I thought this was an original invention. But a quick Google search shows that a blog called ‘Will It Waffle?’ did something similar eight years ago. I don’t pretend to have tried their recipe, but I will claim without proof that my recipe is the one you want to eat. And as far as you know, I invented the twice waffled waffle, okay 😉
Twice Waffled Waffle Bread Pudding
3 waffles* (I used this recipe)
1 1/2 c half-and-half
1/3 c granulated sugar
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Fresh fruit (garnish, optional)
Salted Maple Caramel Sauce Ingredients
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c maple sugar**
1/4 c maple syrup
1/2 c heavy cream
2 Tbsp butter
3/4 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Tear the waffles into 1-inch pieces and spread in single layer on baking sheet. Place in oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
- Stir in the waffle pieces.
- Cover and chill mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Make Salted Maple Caramel sauce right before cooking waffles (instructions follow).
- Preheat waffle iron. Spray waffle iron very liberally between each waffle.
- Ladle the waffle mixture (including the extra liquid) into the waffle iron, spreading it out with the back of the ladle. Fill with just enough for one waffle.
- Remove when your waffle iron is finished cooking. Serve warm topped with fresh fruit and Salted Maple Caramel sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together granulated sugar, maple sugar, and maple syrup with 1/4 cup cold water. Place over medium-high heat.
- Allow the mixture to boil without stirring for 10-12 minutes.
- In a small saucepan warm the heavy cream.
- When the caramel is ready, slowly whisk in the cream. Simmer while stirring for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove caramel from heat and whisk in the butter andsalt.
- Serve warm atop Twice Waffled Waffle bread pudding.
*My waffle iron makes 7 inch diameter, round waffles. If using smaller waffles, you may need 4-6.
**Alternatively: use maple syrup, but you may need to boil it for longer in step 2.