While making the pumpkin doughnuts, I was really craving the pumpkin/cheesecake combination and the pumpkin/chocolate combination, So I figured why not combine all three. Thus making Chocolate Cheesecake Pumpkin Doughnut Bread Pudding. I was considering adding chocolate chips to this recipe, but was very happy I did not and went for chocolate ganache instead.
Chocolate Cheesecake Pumpkin Doughnut Bread Pudding
5-6 stale pumpkin doughnuts (I used this recipe)
4 oz cream cheese (softened)
2 Tbsp butter (softened)
1/4 c sugar
3 oz semisweet chocolate (melted and cooled slightly)
4 large eggs
1 c half and half
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
whipped cream (garnish, optional)
1/2 c heavy cream
1/3 c semisweet chocolate chips
- Make or buy pumpkin cake doughnuts and let them get stale for 3-5 days. (Alternatively, substitute pumpkin muffins or pumpkin bread).
- Cut the doughnuts in half and place in single layer in baking sheet. Broil on low (about 250 degrees Fahrenheit), far from the heat for about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove doughnuts from oven and tear into 1-inch pieces.
- Beat together softened cream cheese, softened butter, and sugar in large mixing bowl, until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add half-and-half, buttermilk, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir in pieces of pumpkin doughnuts.
- Let bread pudding mixture soak for two hours, covered, in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (Fahrenheit) .
- Spray 4 ramekins with non-stick spray and distribute bread pudding mixture evenly between the ramekins.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 25-35 minutes or until custard is set (the bread pudding will have puffed up and not look too jiggly or moist in the center).
- Place on cooling rack for at least ten minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with ganache (directions follow), and whipped cream (if desired).
Chocolate Ganache Directions:
- Microwave heavy cream for 1 minute 30 seconds on high, in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Remove cream from microwave and stir.
- Add chocolate chips and wait 10 minutes.
- Stir cream and chocolate mixture until smooth.